Friday, November 27, 2009

Festival of Lights

While up in Michigan for Thanksgiving, us Hammies like to stick to a few of our own little traditions. For example, we ALWAYS go to Panera (there isn't one by us), Mega Coney Island for Coney Dogs and   we always have to have a ceasar salad from VG's.  (Wow, our lives really do revolve around food.) But another great little traditon we've started is going to Howell's 'Festival of Lights' parade.

I love Howell. Have for the longest time. In fact, Howell is where Jon and I got married. In this beautiful little church, tucked off a side street in downtown. Hey! Lemme find a pic for ya......









Posted by Picasa

Hmm....these are the only good ones I could find that had the church in the background of it. Ah well....
But to continue on, the Festival of Lights is held on the day after Thanksgiving every year. Black Friday was a very special day for us - it was also Jason's 8th Birthday! What a lucky guy he was to have his very own parade!
That night, around 4:30 we headed on down to Howell.  We found the pefect place along the parade line. Marked our spots with blankets and chairs......



.......then we decided to walk around town and check things out.There's this alley that had a bunch of vendors down it. They were selling all sorts of food, hot chocolate (b/c BRRRR! It was COLD!), holiday greenery, light up toys and crafts of various sorts. They also had a booth where the kids could come and decorate cookies. We stopped there first with the boys.











Did I mention, that it was COLD out? So cold in fact that the frosting they had for the cookies wouldn't spread. They had to place it on a heater a few times to thaw it out.


After the boys were done decorating, we hit up a vendor for some Holiday Hilarity! Check out Mom and Cassie in their cool new hats......








But the best part of this little alley way of treasures, was what was at the end.











Do you see what's behind the kids there? Yup! Reindeer!!!!! Santa's reindeer to be exact. The kids got to have their pics with them and they got to pet them. Those are some lucky kiddo's I have. I don't think I ever got to see reindeer when I was a kid!

Speaking of reindeer, I was pretty lucky that night to come across my very own treasure! I ended up with my very own SHINY NOSE.




Yup. I was one cool chick that night. I had no problem rocking the flashing schnoz all night.  Of course then, everyone else wanted a turn and because I'm such an awesome person, I let the kids have some fun too!








But, I have to say that I just love this picture. Best one of the night.




Only followed closely by this one.....





Finally, the sun had set. The air was chilly, our toes and fingers frozen. It was time for the parade.

I love this parade. I mean, lately parades have tended to be one big advertising plug or political campaign. (Fenton's 4th of July parade anyone?) But this one is nothing but floats and vehicles covered in lights. It's so beautiful. My pictures do not show it justice. (Plus, they were taken with my iPhone, so there is that.)










These are just a few of a 1000 of the pics I took of these. But like I said, using the iphone camera is not the best for this type of thing. But you all get the jist. After the parade was over, we swung by my brothers house, picked him up and headed home. It was also Jason's birthday, so we sung him Happy Birthday, had some cake and ice cream and let him open up some gifts.





























It was a great end to a fabulously busy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment