Friday, February 12, 2010

It's SNOWING!!!

If you know me, you know how much I MISS the snow!  What cracks me up about living down here in the south is that anytime there is even the mention of snow, people start FREAKING out! The grocery stores start running out of milk and bread. The news channels start calling it, 'The Winter Storm of the Year!". It's all very dramatic.

The last time there was a threat of snow (about a month ago), the county did a preemptive strike and delayed school for the next day and shut down the base until 10am. Can you guess how horrible our storm was? No...let me tell you.

All it did was RAIN.

Yup, the city and base went into mad chaos over the 'possibility' of snow.

So you can imagine my surprise that when I heard there was another potential 'Winter Storm of Year' brewing, that we might actually GET snow.  I was a bit skeptical. Not going to lie. I have learned not to get my hopes up here too much. But Friday night, as Erin and I were hanging out in her kitchen, while the kiddo's played (so typical, btw), the next thing I know is that the rain is strangly looking like little hard balls. Then, slowly it began to SNOW.




Granted, it's about 10 o'clock at night but the kids were ecstatic! They wanted to go out right that minute and start playing in it. How could we say no? We bundled them up the best we could with Carolina Cold Weather Gear (i.e. plenty of socks with shoes, warm coat and sorry excuses for mittens to keep them warm).

But they had a BLAST! And because the snow had a little rain mix in it, they could actually build a snowman!




The boys even made snowballs to eat! Yum!

 

We let the kids play outside for a good hour. But seeing as it was getting pretty late, I bundled them up, headed home and put them to bed.




The next morning, we woke up to this:

 

 

 

 

 

 


Lizzie didn't really like it all that much.....


 

 

Of course we (meaning the kids) were up as soon as the sun, and they wanted to go right back out there and get back in to it. But being the good, responsible Mom that I am (don't laugh), I made them eat their healthy, energy sustaining breakfast of poptarts and chocolate milk before sending them on their way.

Being a Midwest Girl, I couldn't stay away either and had to go put my layers on so I could go outside and be a big kid.

Once outside, Jack and I started building a snowman and making snow angels.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I even went over to Erin's house, knocked on her door and asked her if she wanted to play. Unfortunately, she's a SoCal girl, (I try not to hold it against her) so she's not equipped to handle whatever this 'white stuff' is.

The day ended with homemade vegetable soup, and hot chocolate, with LOTS of marshmallows. Can't get any better than that.


Oh and the snow? It was gone by Monday.

1 comment: