Thursday, May 27, 2010

Carnie Rides are for the Strong of Stomach...

Every year, our base likes to hold a free carnival for all us military folks called Maynia.

It's pretty much like any other carnival you've been to. Expensive food, scary carnie's, rides that make you puke and pushy, rude people. Maynia is just the same. The only difference is, is that the rides are all free to go on.

Cassie had decided to go earlier with some friends of hers. The boys and I, along with Uncle Kurtiss headed up there a couple hours later. First thing we see as we're walking pass the 'Spinning Barrels' is some pour smuck, projectile vomiting all over all the unlucky joe's waiting in line for their turn. If that wasn't enough to turn our stomachs (and we've only been there a few minutes), we headed on over to the Musik Express. Which is a ride that's on a wavy, circle track. It starts off going forward, stops midway, the goes backward. Fast. Really fast.

The boys waiting in line....

Jack rides with me and Jason is riding with Kurtiss. As it starts, Jack is able to stay on his side of the seat. By the time the ride is over, I am so crammed into the side of car and Jack is literally pressed so up against me that we might as well have been one person. Of course, we're both laughing hysterically! I looked behind us and Jason looks like he doesn't know whether to laugh or cry and Kurt is just looking like he's glad that ride is finally over.

We walked around a bit, found Cassie, got ourselves some Funnel Cake and lemonade. I paid $5 so Jack could pick up some stupid rubber duckie and win a 25 cent blow up machine gun.....


On our travels around the carnival, we decided that the Spinning Barrels were definitely off limits, but right on the other side of them was the kiddie version of it. Spinning Dragons! How bad could it be? They're cute little dragons that little kids were laughing on. So we decided to try it out. We all sit inside, the big wheel in the center and Kurtiss and Jason take hold of it and start spinning us.

Kurtiss and Jason sitting inside the dragon...


A few things I learned....
1. It wasn't laughing. It was screaming.
2. Your head will slap against the side of the 'dragon' as you spin out of control.
3. Always place your focus on a stationary subject. Don't keep your eyes on the doorway, praying for escape as you watch the world spin out of your reach.
4. My brother is evil.

After that fun, fun time we decided that our stomachs were all feeling a little queasy. We then opted for the 'fun house'. In carnie land, there is nothing 'fun' about a fun house. As we entered the trailer, my brother being ever the brave soul he is, forced me to lead the way. Putting the small children ahead of him, leaving enough room for him to make a quick exit out the back if need be. Everything was pitch black and it took me the longest time to figure out which way to head first. It was hot. It was smelly. And I was scared that Freddy Kureger was going to jump out at any second and stab me with his steely knife hands. Thankfully, it turned out to be some lame attempt to be scary and I ended up outside before I knew it. Relieved to be out of that hot trailer.

But the icing on the cake came when we decided to ride the pirate boat ride. You know the one. It's a boat that swings from bow to stern, and as you go higher you get that feeling of weightlessness. Jason was hesitant to get on it but Jack was gun-ho! As we start moving, Jason starts getting more and more upset. Culminating with him screaming, "Stop the boat! Stop the boat! Get me off of this! I'm going to die!!!!!!!!!" Which in turned, freaked Jack out. His eyes were big as saucers and he starts on the path to freakoutville. Finally, the ride ends. Kurtiss and I are trying to calm the kids. Jason is balling and Jack is saying, 'I don't think that was a very good idea."

At that point, we decided to call it a day. Not only were we all complaining of queasy stomachs, but the boys refused to go on any other rides after that. It was time to go home.

Lessons learned:
1. Carnival food is good but it's not worth the price of admission.
2. When Maynia comes next year - we're skipping it.
3. Rides that spin are bad.

And finally....

4. My brother is evil.




1 comment:

  1. LOL! I feel your pain. Remember I said "I wasn't as young as I used to be"? I got so queasy on those rides!

    ReplyDelete