Friday, July 2, 2010

Fireflies....

A few days after we arrive in Michigan, it was dusk and the boys were upstairs playing the xbox (which has now convince me that I will NEVER buy them one if I ever plan on seeing them again). The rest of us were downstairs watching some TV. Mom had gone outside to let the dogs out. She noticed the fireflies were out en masse! Never one to miss an opportunity, she quickly got the boys and told them there was something for them to see outside. The boys of course came running. Mom got them out on the deck that over looks their yard. When the boys asked her what was it that she wanted them to see, in true game show fashion, my Mom swept her arm across the back yard and said, "Look....." As of right on cue, the whole back yard lit up with fireflies! It was MAGIC!

The look on their faces were PRICELESS! I believe this is the first real time they've actually seen fireflies. A mix between stunned amazement and awe. They then proceeded to try and catch them. Around this time, Mom had come to get me since she figured I didn't want to miss this and Dad had provided them with small mason jars to catch them in.


Jason trying to put his fireflies in the jar....


A few of them that had been caught...


Jason with his 'buddy'...


My folks back yard. There are actually fireflies out there but you know how it is when using your iPhone as a camera...


Another crappy iPhone picture but at least you can see one of the fireflies lit up in the jar...

It's a memory I will not soon forget. I hope my boys won't forget this either. Being a girl, I realize I'm more inclined to the emotional vomit of the world but seeing this, watching my boys amazement and their excitement to catch those fireflies just made that night really.....magical. Almost like you know if you could make a wish at that moment, it would come true. I hope it's a memory they'll carry for a long, long time.

1 comment:

  1. It is something they will remember. Trust me. :)
    Good on you for having enough mommy forethought to know it was special.

    ReplyDelete