Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mom & Dad's 40th Anniversary Party

The big day has finally arrived. The day that the Siblings and I have been planning since early Spring. A day in which many tears, lots of sweat and many a discussions have occurred in preparation for. Today was Mom and Dad's 40th Wedding Anniversary Party!

Luckily, because all of us had been prepping for weeks/months before, the morning pretty much went off without a hitch! Most of the food was already prepped, waiting for the final completion. Tables had been set up, decorations placed with loving care and the men had been sent on various errands to complete.

Shortly before noon, we started getting our first arrivals! This was going to turn out to be a fantastic day!

As everyone arrived, people mostly milled about the garage. Here we have from left to right: my cousin Jamie, Aunt Kae, Uncle Don (in the way background there), my cousin Megan, my Dad and then my Uncle Paul.


My Uncle Paul and Mom....Can't you just feel the sibling love going on?

My cousins Steve and Tara...

We had set up tables and tent in the back yard for people to chill out and eat at. Here's my awesome cousin Jamie letting us know how special he really is....

Inside the house, we had set up the cake table that also had a scrap book of Mom and Dad's wedding that I had made for their Anniversary....

Peyton making good use of the ice from the drink bucket...

My beautiful Mama...

Nicole with Cory's Mom and Aunt...

Cameron...

Steven, Tara and Megan chilling on the deck inside the gazebo...

Everyone catching up on good times in the garage...


In the front yard, we had set up some games for everyone to play. Here the little ones are taking a shot at croquet....




Cassie and Alyssa chill'n...

My job for the day was making sure the food was ready, and the tables kept full. So this is where you could find me for most of the day... of course I had some awesome help from my BFF Tara.

My scrapbook was moved to outside where my Uncle Don and Aunt Linda were taking a look...

Kurtiss and Jason...



Finally, it was time to start taking some family pictures. Since Jon had the big fancy camera, he was designated official Photographer for the day.

At this point, pretty much all of my Mom's side of the family were there. So we started with them. This is pretty much all of us.

From left to right, top row first: Nicole, Kurtiss, Uncle Paul, Aunt Kae, Dad, Uncle Don, Aunt Linda, Steven and I. 
Bottom Row, left to right: Amanda, Jamie, Mom, Megan, Audrey, and Tara.

Um....not really sure what to say about this one....

My folks with my Mom's brother (Uncle Paul) and his lovely wife (Aunt Kae).

My folks with her other brother, my Uncle Don and his family: Megan, Aunt Linda and Audrey.

Chit chatting in between takes...

Parentals with my Aunt Tammy's (who is no longer with us...) kids, Steven and Tara.

Love them!

Apparently it was us Siblings turn to have some pictures taken...


Then it was time to throw the Parentals in there. Nothing says love like having your Dad pick something out of your hair...


Then Mom declared that she wanted us to act silly. Kurtiss throws his hands up as if he doesn't understand what she's talking about....

That's when Nicole and I take matters into our own hands...



Every time I have a chance to come home, my best friend Tara also tries her best to make a trip to come visit. And every time we see each other, we have to have an official picture taken of us. Here is this visits picture. Which, is actually one of my absolute faves!

Then, it's Tara's turn with her second Parents...

Mom with her brothers...

Parentals with ALL the grandkiddies...

Nicole with her boys...Minus Cory who is currently serving our Country in Ass-ghanistan...

Cory's Mom and Aunt Pam jump in on the action...

Now it was our turn for our family pictures...

Jack is never happy....Heaven forbid I make that kid hold still for a split second and take a picture!

Parentals with Nicole's family...

Parentals with my brother, Kurt...

Strike a pose Nicole!

At this point, more family and friends had started to trickle in. My great-uncle George (my grandpa's brother), and family were able to make the trip! I absolutely adore my Uncle George and Jon and him always have good war stories to tell each other.

Parentals with Aunt Marge and Uncle George...

My Dad's family had arrived around that time as well and Nicole was entertaining them in the garage. Check out my Dad's bad ass GTO in the background!




Nicole had the brilliant idea to do the whole 'clinking on glasses to get them to kiss' thing and Mom and Dad reluctantly agreed....lol




Our parents neighbor Rose (in the pink shirt) and my Dad's sister, my Aunt Peggy and my cousin Tammy.

Dad's good friends Mark and Barb arrived as well. Mark and Barb had been such a great help in planning this whole weekend (Barb and I had many an email correspondence) and it was such a treat to actually meet them at the baseball game the day before and to finally be able to get to know them better at the party. Jon was also lucky enough to be invited to Mark and my Dad's weekly breakfast meetings every friday, where gallons of coffee was consumed, along with great conversations. Jon didn't want to come back to North Carolina for the simple fact that he'd miss out on those Friday mornings!
After a while, it was time to reveal the Parentals Anniversary present from us Siblings. We had gone back and forth for a few months debating what to get them. We finally decided on getting them a pair of semi-matching bikes! We had actually made it a secret mission a few days before to go buy them and had stored them in the back of Nicole's van for those few days before the party. How Mom and Dad didn't see them, I have no idea! But the absolutely loved them and were so surprised!



Mom was so happy that she got a little teary-eyed! So you know we had done good!

And off they go on their first ride!




After the bikes, they set down to open the rest of their gifts that they had received. But first, it was time for another smooch!


And now the presentation of the cake! We had originally wanted to get a tiered cake but that was WAY over the budget, so we ended up getting a large sheet cake that actually turned out to be very pretty! Plus half of it was chocolate and the other half cherry-chip! My favorite!!!!

Nicole and I carefully bringing the cake out. God help us if we dropped it!

We all gathered around as Mom and Dad cut the first slice with the same cake set they had on their wedding day.








At this point, we still needed to get Dad's side of the family pictures done and now that everyone was here, it was the perfect time to do so.
Here they are from left to right: Aunt Kelly, Uncle Marty (my Dad's brother), the parentals, Aunt Peggy (Dad's sister), my cousin Tammy and Dana and then Dana's two boys-Alex and Logan, are there as well.

Aunt Peggy, Tammy, Dana, Alex and Logan...

Dad, Aunt Peggy and Mom...

Aunt Kelly, Uncle Marty, Dad and Mom...

Dad with his siblings, Uncle Marty and Aunt Peggy. (We're missing Uncle Brian as well, but he was unable to come.)

Finally, Nicole and I took a breather and sat out on the front lawn watching the kids play....

Bree...she's an angel. Really! lol



All the kiddies love Uncle Paul!

Here's some various pictures of everyone as the party starts wrapping up...






The party turned out wonderful! Everyone was so happy to see each other and celebrate Mom and Dad's 40 years of marriage. Thank you to everyone who came out, brought a dish to pass and celebrated with us. We love you all!

Here's to the next 40!
Photobucket


post signature

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your Mom and Dad. Great pictures, it was just like being there. Mary Seckner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you got them bikes! And that they actually rode them LOL! It would be awesome to have family like that - enjoy and cherish every second.

    ...wow. Next year it will be 20 years here ... OMG! I am so freakin OLD!
    ..I wonder if my kids will buy us bikes ..... haha - as if.

    Very sweet. I love that you do these things.

    ReplyDelete